In between all the shuffling and bustling I read food blogs. Endlessly. I can’t get enough. Through this I found my new favourite site to obsessively check, Tastespotting. And through THAT I found a food blog which linked to Very Good Taste that had this list called…
It’s a list of weird, strange, delicious and not so delicious foods. As a vegetarian I’m not going to have experienced a whole lot of things here but it’s still pretty fun to do. I had to look quite a few of these things up.
Yeah I’m a veg, but Id nibble a chunk of croc if you set it in front of me– how often do you get to eat something like that!
Here’s what I want you to do:
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at http://www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.
The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:
1. Venison – not my cup of tea
2. Nettle tea – also not my cup of tea..
3. Huevos rancheros – looking forward to trying this!
5. Crocodile – I should like to eat a crocodiles belly
Black pudding – holy crap, ever gross
7. Cheese fondue – FONDue childhood memories, haaaa
8. Carp – not a fish I would seek out with the intention of eating, really
9. Borscht – Borscht makes me grow up strong man make mama proud
10. Baba ghanoush – I want some right now. On a pizza. With falafel pepperoni
11. Calamari – Split an order with C’s mum and polished it off, so it musta been good
Pho – The word “tripe” is very off putting, it gives me past life flashbacks of when I was an old english school marm sharing a piece of tripe with my cats
13. PB&J sandwich – probably dinner tonight
14. Aloo gobi – I work with a kitchen full of Sri Lankan gents, this is lunch every day
15. Hot dog from a street cart – I always end up throwing these up, yet get back up and try again
16. Epoisses – a kind of stinky cheese? Im in.
17. Black truffle – I had a wee piece on top of caviar and foie gras. Verdict: Bleah
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes – strawberry wine with my sister, and I got FUCKED up on celery wine with this ancient hippy on a mountain, talking about how oxygen originated in his back yard while his wife showed me her handmade quilts
19. Steamed pork buns – Jordan introduced us to these in China Town
20. Pistachio ice cream – I CRAVE THIS SO MUCH. Also that crappy pistachio jell-o. Mm.
21. Heirloom tomatoes – I see these all the time but have never tried one, will have to
22. Fresh wild berries – eaten with blue and/or red fingers, yeah
23. Foie gras – Smooshy and unappealing
24. Rice and beans – Hell yeah, mother fucker!
Brawn, or head cheese – gag gag gag gag barf gag death
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper – I would eat this, but only for money, I treasure the use of my tastebuds
27. Dulce de leche – Mmmm
Oysters – Little rotten grey vaginas
29. Baklava – Ive had good bakalava and bad convenience store baklava
30. Bagna cauda – I hadn’t heard of this but it doesnt sound too bad
31. Wasabi peas – These and soy nuts are nice snacks for hungry squirrel girls
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl – That sounds freaking delicious
Salted lassi – This is what I imagine gulping down a glass of room temperature camel spunk would taste like
34. Sauerkraut – Ich esse meine Feinde für Abendessen und Sauerkraut für Nachtisch!
35. Root beer float – Never as good as it is in my head
36. Cognac with a fat cigar – only after I pleasure my many hot girlfriends
37. Clotted cream tea – one of my favourite things in life ever
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O – like a jello shooter? Nearly polished off 2 trays by myself
Whole insects – maybe for survival, if there were no food, plants, dirt, feces or dead bodies around
43. Phaal – Don’t like the sound of this one
44. Goat’s milk – tastes a little too goat teety for me
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more – really quickly, before the rich old dude who owned it came home
46. Fugu – Uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm eating chubby little pufferfishes makes me frown
47. Chicken tikka masala
Eel – eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut – hot off the conveyor belt, bitches!
Sea urchin – What!? Why! Get that out of your mouth! Put that back in the tide pool! Wtf!
51. Prickly pear – Way too much work and I felt like I had a moustache for days after
Abalone– a balogne, maybe
54. Paneer – Mm!
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal – once, long ago, when I was a younger, more foolish girl and didnt realize it didnt come with a toy
56. Spaetzle – quite a nice little noodle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine – my biological mother
60. Carob chips – more like Carap chips
63. Kaolin – isnt that mud?? I am absolutely certain this is in a face mask cream I have and I have accidentally gotten it into my mouth. That COUNTS, damn it!
Currywurst – wurst idea ever.
65. Durian – as my darling C once said, “Durian smells like balls”
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake – this is my grocery list this week
69. Fried plantain – mm!
Chitterlings, or andouillette – Don’t even know what the first one is but its not going anywhere near my mouth!
71. Gazpacho – One of my favourite words and least favourite soups
72. Caviar and blini – not my bag
73. Louche absinthe – why the heck not!
74. Gjetost, or brunost – the description of this doesnt sound too bad but I have a feeling it’s not a looker
76. Baijiu – a Mongol Commander in Persia??
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail – apparently when I ate this I made a brand new facial expression no one had ever seen before
79. Lapsang souchong – This tea tastes like stank
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict – I’ve only had a little taste of Mr. C’s, and made some, never actually eaten the whole shebang
83. Pocky – Oh, YEAH!
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant
88. Flowers – sugared pansies, rosies, dandelions, echinacea, chamomille, nasturtiums, clovers— uhhh pretty much any flower Ive seen, if no one was looking, I uh, ate it
Horse – Yeah I’ll eat that horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam – can you still buy Spam? For eating purposes?
92. Soft shell crab – *Screeeammmmmmm*
93. Rose Harissa – Who?
95. Mole poblano – oddly good. Mole mole mole
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor – This might be the only way I would actually eat lobster
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
Wow, that took me a good hour or so. I’m exhausted. And hungry. Wait no, disgusted– no, hungry again. I have tried a lot more things on here than I thought I would have, I think 49/100. Not bad for a vegetarian anyway.
Thanks Very Good Taste for this list!