This is the carrot cake I made for Mindy (Cory’s awesome Boss Lady) for Fathers Day! I’ve made this recipe three times now, always with success. It produces a dense, moist, ultra carroty cake with a very compact crumb which makes cutting it a breeze. The icing is fluffy, smooth and easy to work with. The lemon juice highlights the tangy cream cheese and downplays the sweetness, which I like. Tis a nice cake.
I swapped walnuts for pecans, turned the leftover brown sugar carrot juice and pineapple juice drippings into a simple syrup to brush over the cake to keep it moist, and added a little bit of whipping cream to the batter.. just ‘cuz. Don’t judge.
* 6 cups grated carrots
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1 cup grated coconut
* 4 eggs
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 3/4 cup vegetable oil
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
1. In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots and brown sugar. Set aside for 60 minutes, then stir in coconut.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 10 inch cake pans.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Gradually beat in the white sugar, oil and vanilla. Stir in the pineapple. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, stir into the wet mixture until absorbed. Finally stir in the carrot mixture and the pecans Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
4. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. When completely cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Icing
(Makes 4 cups)
2 250-g packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1-1/2 cups icing sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest *(I left this out)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese on medium speed until smooth.
2. Add in butter and continue to beat.
3. Reduce speed to low and add icing sugar, scraping sides as necessary.
4. Mix in remaining three ingredients, continuing to beat until fluffy.
5. If not using immediately, transfer to a container, cover lightly and chill.